Monday 7 May 2012

Usable security and the total customer experience

Last week, I had a problem with my online Santander account. This isn't particularly about that company, but a reflection on a multi-channel interactive experience and the nature of evidence. When I phoned to sort out the problem, I was asked a series of security questions that were essentially "trivia" questions about the account that could only be answered accurately by being logged in at the time. I'd been expecting a different kind of security question (mother's maiden name and the like), so didn't have the required details to hand. Every question I couldn't answer made my security rating worse, and quite quickly I was being referred to the fraud department. Except that they would only ring me back within 6 hours, at their convenience, not mine. I never did receive that call because I couldn't stay in for that long. The account got blocked, so now I couldn't get the answers to the security trivia questions even though I knew that would be needed to establish my identity. Total impasse.

After a couple more chicken-and-egg phone calls, I gathered up all the evidence I could muster to prove my identity and went to a branch to resolve the problem face-to-face. I was assured all was fine, and that they had put a note on my account to confirm that I had established my credentials. But I got home and the account was still blocked. So yet another chicken-and-egg phone call, another failed trivia test. Someone would call me back about it. Again, they called when I was out. Their refusal to adapt to the customer's context and constraints was costing them time and money, just as it was costing me time and stress.

I have learned a lot from the experience; for example, enter these conversations with every possible factoid of information at your fingertips; expect to be treated like a fraudster rather than a customer... The telephone interaction with a human being is not necessarily any more flexible than the interaction with an online system; the customer still has to conform to an interaction style determined by the organisation.

Of course, the nature of evidence is different in the digital world from the physical one, where (in this particular instance) credible photo ID is still regarded as the Gold Standard, but being able to answer account trivia seems like a pretty poor way of establishing identity. As discussed last week, evidence has to answer the question (in this case: is the caller the legitimate customer?). A trivia quiz is not usable by the average customer until they have learned to think like security people. This difference in thinking styles has been recognised for many years now (see for example "Users are not the enemy"); we talk about interactive system design being "user centred", but it is helpful if organisations can be user centred too, and this doesn't have to compromise security, if done well. I wonder how long it will take large companies to learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment